Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default No mains earth supplied to my flat

"jgharston" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:
2) Do I need one? My I have earth bonding to the gas and water pipes
which I guess can work as an earth. But is that safe?

The snag comes if and when the external bits of these pipes are changed
plastic. Assuming they are not already. But using them as an earth hasn't
complied with regs for a long time.

The intention of bonding supply pipes together is to ensure that the
consumer side of those pipes is bonded to your electrical earth, not
to use the incoming supply pipes _as_ your electrical earth.

When a leccy man came to my house to quote for some work he noted that the
water supply was not "earthed" and added some extortionate charge to the
quote for doing it.

I said "did you not notice that the pipes in question are plastic" and he
sheepishly took it off again.

tim