Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Infrared Red Scanning....

On Dec 28, 6:28*pm, "SBH" wrote:
.....for the home. Is it worth it?

I repaired a loose connection in an outlet on an exterior wall. Upon doing so, I noticed a draft of cold air from under the outlet. Therefore, I temporarily plugged it. Directly under the that area in the basement above my drop ceiling panels, also on the exterior wall, is another draft which appears to be coming from the side door area. Two summers past, I used expand foam and caulk along the entire side of the house and filled in some questionable areas around the door with cement (threshold area), hoping I might conquer this draft. Nope, nothing doing and it's aggravating. Therefore, the infrared red scanning idea comes to mind. I need to find this leak, along with other reasons why part of my house is colder than the rest.

Inputs?

Thanks

I had a blower door test done, my hvac co did it free as part of my
new install. Blower door tests are cheaper to hire out and show air
infiltration as the tech goes around with a Smoke Stick, and pinpoints
leaks for you. I found areas I never imagined and sealed them. A IR
Thermal photo will only show areas with poor insulation, not air
comming in. Best would be to hire a pro to do an energy audit and both
tests. Buy you could do an air infiltration test yourself with a
strong fan sealed in a window or door, and a smoke stick you get at
hvac supply stores, or something like a Punk thats used to light
fireworks. A pro doing the blower door test will give you a printout
of what your homes air exchanges per day are, what they should be and
how to improve your problem. Its worth the 3-500 a test should cost.