Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow shovels

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:55:45 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:19:45 -0600, "
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 00:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:10:19 -0500, George
wrote:

I don't care for the offset versions and can't see how it helps your
back.

They save your back by allowing you to lift with your back
straight(er) so you naturally use your legs. It does work.

I think it depends on the person using it, like anything else.

You may not believe it, but it works for anyone taller than the shovel. You
don't have to reach down as far to grab the handle. It really is a
back-saver.

I hate the
curved/offset handle, and prefer a straight one. Ever notice that you never
see curved/offset handles on regular shovels?

Completely different tool with different action. You use your feet on a spade
to sink them into the ground. Snow shovels aren't used this way.

I prefer a smaller, plastic-bladed shovel, lifting smaller loads many times
rather than larger loads fewer times. The lighter the shovel, the more snow
can be moved with the same ultimate effort.

Nonsense. If you believe that, why don't you use a teaspoon?

Also one shovel isn't sufficient. I have one steel blade shovel
for the icy slushy stuff that the lighter shovels won't touch and two
different widths of pushers.

I had two, one of the crooked shovels as above and a curved reinforced
steel scoop, for pushing (don't want to lift that monster). ...and of
course, a 10HP snow blower. ;-)

Another thing I noticed is that the steel wear strips are made from
junk steel anymore. Snow shovels used to last for many, many seasons.
Now the strip is usually worn out after one.

What's the point of a "wear strip" if its not replaceable?

I'm seeing a lot of shovels up here being sold without the metal strip.
After one of mine fell off, I discovered that the shovel actually worked
BETTER than it did with the metal strip. It does wear down (in the manner
of beavers' front teeth), but in the process it self-sharpens, aiding in
scraping packed snow. I now only buy the ones with no metal strip.

I can see a steel strip on an aluminum shovel, but steel on steel makes no
sense. I wouldn't waste time on a plastic shovel. Well, maybe at the beach.

Again, because you've never tried it you say "waste time". I, and many
others in snow country, would never buy anything else.

Of course, you're wrong as always. I lived in "snow country" all my life.

Don't bother replying.

Then why to you post, stupid?