Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Then and now (Chrysler engines)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:06:29 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/27/2010 10:37 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:42:32 -0500, Jeff
wrote:

And in particular, the starter, and not a lot of vacuum lines or other
wiring. Not much in there, lot of room around the motor. My
understanding is the slant 6 came out of an industrial engine. Something
designed to pump oil 24/7. Lot of low end torque.

No, the slant six was a clean sheet design to get an overhead valve
engine into the low hood of the Valiant. It was then increased in size
and became the standard corporate engine for Chrysler cars and light
trucks, as well as becoming the basis for the industrial and marine
engines.

It BECAME a very popular industrial engine, particularly after the
industrial/ Marine flathead was discontinued.

It was the only overhead valve inline six Chryler North America ever
produced. (in at least 3 sises, and 2 major series)

My dad had a 51 Dodge with a 230ci Flathead six and it was a good old
car that he bought new and drove for 11 years. I remember him selling
it after it had set for a while and it started right up when the guy
who bought it, pushed it off. I think we saw it being driven around the
county for several years afterwards. I believe Chrysler still produced
the 230 as an industrial engine for some years after the slant six was
introduced. I owned several vehicles powered by a slant six, it was one
tough motor.

TDD

The flattie "soldiered on" in the military M37 and some industrial
apps untill 1968 (261 inch)(125 HP)

They were made in versions as 331 inchers and as large as 413 cu
inches.(Y rated dual carb and if I remember correctly also dual
exhaust)