Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow shovels

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:10:19 -0500, George
wrote:

On 12/28/2010 3:15 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Anyone have experience with the yellow Ames Snowboss shovel shown here?

http://search.gifts.com/find?keyword=snow+shovel

What I like about it is that the left hand has a handle to grip so the
hand doesn't slide up a slippery pole away from the blade toward the top
handle. But I'm not wild about its being made of plastic. And its 24"
width can make the snow load heavy, especially on a warm day when the
snow has melted and is heavy.

What's been your experience with shovels with offset poles (like the
blue Ames Superlight 18" shovel to the right of the yellow one)? The
claim is that they are easier on the back.

Thanks,

Rebel1

I don't care for the offset versions and can't see how it helps your
back. Also one shovel isn't sufficient. I have one steel blade shovel
for the icy slushy stuff that the lighter shovels won't touch and two
different widths of pushers.

Another thing I noticed is that the steel wear strips are made from junk
steel anymore. Snow shovels used to last for many, many seasons. Now the
strip is usually worn out after one.

And the plastic ones with no strip last me 3. I won't buy
snow-pushers with a metal edge any more - particularly with my
interlocking stone driveway.