Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow shovels

?
"RicodJour" wrote
After a couple of attempts to get used to a snow shovel with an offset
handle I gave up. They are slightly easier on the back (if you don't
know that you can actually bend your knees), but that benefit is more
than offset by awkwardness in use. As someone else noted, you don't
see regular shovels with offset handles as they are not a benefit.

I like the offset shovel and that is my #1 choice if I'm going to shovel.
Regular shovels are for heavier loads of dirt and digging, holes thus the
straight handle. I don't see them a direct comparison in use.

Getting back to the OP's question, you usually need more than one shovel,
just as you need more than one hammer, screwdriver, or kitchen knife. Deep
light snow needs a different tool tan a few inches of heavy wet stuff or a
light coating.

My favorite tool though, is the snow blower. Mine is a cheap single stage,
but it is easier on the back than any shovel. Only ting better is when my
neighbor comes over and he blows the heavy stuff the plow leaves.