Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Infrared Red Scanning....

On Dec 28, 8:23*pm, "SBH" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

SBH wrote:
.....for the home. Is it worth it?

I repaired a loose connection in an outlet on an exterior wall. Upon
doing so, I noticed a draft of cold air from under the outlet.
Therefore, I temporarily plugged it. Directly under the that area in
the basement above my drop ceiling panels, also on the exterior wall,
is another draft which appears to be coming from the side door area.
Two summers past, I used expand foam and caulk along the entire side
of the house and filled in some questionable areas around the door
with cement (threshold area), hoping I might conquer this draft.
Nope, nothing doing and it's aggravating. Therefore, the infrared red
scanning idea comes to mind. I need to find this leak, along with
other reasons why part of my house is colder than the rest.

A cheaper way MIGHT be to obtain a remote-sensing thermometer. You point
it at something and it displays the temperature.

Harbor Freight has a couple of models from $9.95.

I have one of those. The problem I encounter is pinpointing the exact
location. I can point to a corner on wall, an outlet or wall switch which
has a draft, but it doesn't pinpoint the exact location of origin. I'm a
person who likes to fix the problem correctly at the onset.

I am unable to pinpoint this particular draft and it's driving me insane.

Have you tried looking from the outside?