Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What I have been up to (4th axis)

On 2010-12-28, Ignoramus24647 wrote:
A couple of days ago, I started working on getting my 4th axis rotary
table to work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...-Table-U12PNC/

I mounted it on the milling table a while ago and started integrating
it on Sunday or thereabouts. Constantly being interrupted by the
family, of course.

For feedback, it has a separate tachometer and a "resolver". This
resolver has six leads, two for rotor excitation and two for stator.

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Harow...300-F10-10.pdf

I would use Jon's resolver to encoder converter board:

http://pico-systems.com/resolver.html

Hmm ... the resolver has specs at 400 Hz (aircraft use) and at
2.5 KHz -- but the board seems to want to talk at 10 KHz. Any certainty
that this one will handle the 10 KHz frequency?

For some reason, two resolver leads (two from separate stators) were
interconnected. At first I thought that I could reuse that old
arrangement instead of the lead pairs being fully isolated and
differential.

Probably for experimentation without long signal leads.

Yesterday I had a revelation and changed my mind. I decided that an
extra week spent on doing things the right way would be time well
spent. I decided to replace the terminal strip on the rotary table
to accommodate completely isolated stators, add a connection for home
switch, etc.

So I ripped everything apart again and will use a 12 lead cable, with
every lead pair shielded individually.

Hmm ... I would instead put each of the secondary windings from
the resolver in a separate shielded twisted pair instead of individual
leads shielded. Better common mode rejection.

1) 6 wires (3 pairs) for the resolver
2) 2 wires for the tachometer
3) 2 wires for home switch
4) (possibly) 2 wires for limit switch.

Best of luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564