Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default build yer own lower

"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 12/28/2010 8:43 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Wes wrote:

"David R. wrote:

ATF doesn't need to serialize it nor do you if you're building it for
your own use. You can't sell, give away or otherwise transfer it unless
you have a manufacturer's license, which is when the serial number
becomes necessary, which the manufacturer does, not the ATF.

So what happens when you die?

Whoever inherits it needs to do the paperwork for an NFA firearm.
Remember this applies to NFA firearms, not to "ordinary" firearms.

The paperwork is confusing since it generically refers to "firearm" in
the title, however further into the forms they specifically refer to NFA
firearms only. Look at ATF form 1 which is titled "Application to Make
and Register a Firearm", but further down on the instruction page it
specifically refers to NFA firearms only. It also has "Estate
Procedures: For procedures regarding the transfer of firearms in an
estate resulting from the death of the registrant identified in item 3,
the executor should contact the NFA Branch, Bureau of the ATF...". You
can download the forms from the BATFE site.

I must have missed the message that changed the issue from manufacturing
a receiver to making an NFA weapon. AFAIK, you can't make an NFA weapon
for your own use as of 1986.

Early on the thread discussed the legality of making your own AR lower.
There was a lot of confusion about restrictions with people confusing
NFA only restrictions as applying to non NFA firearms.

You also seem to be confused about NFA firearms, as the 1986 date you
refer to only applies to full-auto machine guns, and not to other NFA
firearms like short barreled rifles, silencers, etc.

I'm vaguely kicking around the idea of sending in the paperwork and $200
to get a tax stamp and paperwork to legally build a silencer, but I'm
not sure if I have enough ambition to do all the paperwork.