Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default What I have been up to (4th axis)

On 2010-12-28, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
That resolver model is used as feedback on your typical Fadal DC rotary

axis
system.

Did not know

If you still have the pigtail I would perhaps buy it from you if the

price
is right and provided it is a -35pin male milspec connector.

What pigtail are you talking about?

35 pin male amphenol

Mil-C-5015

Similar to :

http://www.cadillacproducts.com/images/CN_Series.jpg

FWIW, almost nobody pays Danaher their listed retail price for
resolvers--last time I bought a new one IIRC I paid around $230 for
it...Also, at least one of the Fadal service houses offers "rebuilt"
resolver units for around $120 last I checked.

Rather than considering use of a resolver at all I would suggest go to a
encoder instead if it is at all possible--size 11 resolvers are highly

prone
to rapid bearing failure given even the slightest shaft misalignment and
they will also will develop an internal open circuit at basically the

drop
of a pin.

What I know is that this particular resolver is mounted the way it was
originally mounted. Since this is a troyke table, I expect they did a
good job at mounting.

I thought a lot about resolver vs encoder issue, and right or wrong,
decided that I want to reuse the resolver with "resolver converter".

Well, if I could find a converter that allows replacing the resolvers here
with an encoder likely that I would immediately purchase about ten of
them--because I have about 6 bad resolvers mostly harowe from glentek motors
in my desk drawer but have yet to see a single encoder failure on fanuc
motors.