Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack Myers Jack Myers is offline

Default Radio won't stop playing Christmas music

Mark Zenier wrote:
In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
By "mechanism", I meant what was going on electrically. How was the signal
picked up, demodulated, and fed to the speaker at sufficient level to be
audible?

One example, back about 20 years ago, a friend on the Olympic Peninsula
had an old Knight Kit tube stereo amp. It was able to pick up ...
KGEI near San Francisco ... a really strong signal in the 6 Mhz band.

Interesting, that. I also had a Knight Kit FM receiver of that vintage.
El Centro, California was a deep fringe area at that time and radio
frequency interference from KGEI was a real nuisance. The detector used
some crazy feedback circuit to make a narrow-band IF strip track the
wide-band broadcast signal. (Oh, if I had known then what I know now.)
I always figured the signal on the 25 meter was getting into the IF
but maybe the tall antenna and feedline were resonating at 6 MHz.

--
Jack Myers / Westminster, California, USA
microHelen: That quantity of facial pulchritude sufficient to launch one thousanth of a ship.