Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Toshiba RPTV help needed

On Dec 27, 3:14*pm, József Bucher wrote:
I pulled the power/convergence boards out of both today, and could see
nothing wrong. The thing has STK392-020 convergence ICs, or at least
had. One (the same location on both boards) has been replaced with an
stk392-040. I checked all the resistors, as i understand that
convergence IC fault results in burnt resistors, but none test open,
actually everything seems to be fine. There are burnmarks on the power
supply board around a diode on both power supplies, but the diode
isn't shorted and neither are any of the resistors around.

Is there a definitive way of testing the convergence ics themselves? I
suspect that the previous owner tried to fix the projectors but onyl
replaced one of the two ics and then wondered why it didn't work... or
somesuch... so I'd like to test the ics themselves... 4 of these
things would be a slight waste of money... (Can get them locally and
if I buy 3 or more I get a discount, but wouldn't like to buy them if
it turns out they're not at fault...)

One more question... how do you discharge the crts in these things?
The suction cups seem to be completely glued in with silicone from the
factory...

On dec. 27, 14:04, Stroonz wrote:

On Dec 26, 4:14*pm, József Bucher wrote:

The geometry errors are my main concern as I've no idea what would
cause asymmetrical image distortion, never seen such happen in regular
CRTs.

Don't worry about the geometry, just correct the convergence problem
and all will be well..- Hide quoted text -

To discharge the CRT High Voltaage, use a pair of grounded pliers
holding a hatpin in the pliers and go thru the rubber, or better yet
go between the glass and the rubber. Can't help with the convergence.