Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A troubling Christmas - metal/mental related

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:36:41 -0600, Ignoramus7943

On 2010-12-27, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus7943" wrote in message
By the way guys, I am sure I will **** off a lot of people with my
opinion, but the same applies to use of motorcycles by people of all
ages.

... ... ...
I'm with you.

... ... ...
I have lost some friends who were long time riders, and no amount of
experience can prepare you for some broad that pulls out in front of you
while doing her eyelashes in the mirror. And some were totally their fault.

Exactly. There is, pretty much, no such thing as a minor motorcycle accident.

For me there was. I was doing 35mph on a drizzly day on the way to my
bowling league (age 16) when a lady in a Cadillac pulled out in front
of me and stopped. I hit the brakes and felt it going over, so I
dropped it and rode it into her back door. My helmet bent the door
panel and frame, breaking the window, which was up. I was a bit
rattled, but I wore a fairly thick jacket which kept my 3" road-rash
on my forearm pretty small and shallow. My Kawasaki street 90
survived with repairs.

Another guy I knew had been warned never to hit 5th gear on his Kaw
Ninja with a WOT. He did and when it flipped, the front half of his
head was shaved off at a 45 degree angle. No helmet, but it wouldn't
have helped him anyway.

Most of the guys I knew who rode got hurt on their own, but those who
were killed were usually from someone not paying attention on the
road. People pulling out in front of them, changing lane into them,
etc.

It's scary enough in a car, with steel all around you, nowadays.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.