Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skipweasel[_2_] Skipweasel[_2_] is offline

Default How does the foam rubber pipe insulation do its job?

In article ,
says...
I've just returned from 6 days away and the temperature in the loft is
+5 deg C. I left the loft hatch open and programmed the CH and hot
water to come on every few hours. I also left the doors to the
bedrooms ajar.

However, I'm also going to get one of these:
http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/hyl...e_heaters.html

to put near the loft pipework.

Couldn't you just frame over it and them put the loft insulation over
the frame instead of under the pipes? That way the heat from the house
would keep them frost-free, but without losing that heat to the birds'
feet.