Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT WSJ -- Does the estate tax hurt farmers and family businesses?

On 12/26/2010 6:48 AM, wrote:
On Dec 25, 11:38 pm, wrote:

Man! I don't believe in you people. You're like a bunch of scalded dogs.
Yap, yap, yap, is all I hear all the time about how great America is.
Greatest country in the world. Greatest country of all time. Best
people, most exceptional people in the world. Then I hear all this ****
and it amazes me.

The Chinese don't seem to be that worried about America. They're putting
billions to work here. Neither do all the investors all over the world
who are buying stock in American companies, which happen to be making
money hand over fist. The stock market is way up, business profits are
way up, the rich are spending like crazy, and even unemployment is
slowly declining. And you people sound like you have no confidence in
America at all. Oh, woe is me. What am I to do? I only live in America
and it's so bad here. If you want to know what to do look at what the
rich are doing. They are spending and investing here. The outlook for
next year is good. As they say in investing the experts are bullish.
They see a good 2011. Too bad all you folks think otherwise. Of course,
the masses are always missing the boat.

Hawke

So tell us where you are investing. DId you invest in California real
estate when everyone was so bullish? Or did you have a little
caution. I am bullish on stocks, but think it is worthwhile to try to
imagine what will be a good investment if there is a real depression.

Dan

We just had a real close shave with a depression. Barely missed it,
really. But that is over now and almost all the economic indicators are
positive. Polls of American CEOs show they are almost universally
bullish and expect good things coming. The two areas that still suck are
housing and unemployment. Both of them are going to be real long in
fixing. But aside from them most everything is doing well. Look at the
base metals. Copper is at an all time high and is a good indicator of
economic activity. China has been buying all the copper. When copper is
up it means the economy is growing. Experts predict that growth will be
pretty good in the U.S. Pretty much everywhere I look I see positive
signs. It's not perfect by any means but things are much better and are
gradually moving in the right direction.

I do own a piece of real estate in California but it is an unusual
property and didn't see much of a decline in value. I was lucky there.
Not so lucky with my other investments. My other investments took a big
hit. They probably had a 30 percent decline in value, which hurt! But it
has come back a lot now with the market back in the mid 11 thousand
range. I also just saw the the professional fund managers are
reallocating their holdings from over weighted in bonds and are moving
back into stocks. They are going to a 65 percent stock to 35 percent
fixed and other investments. Today I heard that this Christmas was the
best for retailers since 1999. I think now is a very good time to
invest, even in real estate. Buy low sell high. Funny how so many folks
get that backwards. Don't do that if you want to get ahead. Also plan
for the future not just a year or two ahead. Invest in the long term,
buy stock in good solid companies with good earnings and ones that make
half of their money overseas. American companies are making great
profits. Buy them.