Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Why aren't many / most LED light bulbs dimmable?

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/26/2010 05:15 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:
In , G. Morgan wrote:
Home wrote:

I'm seeing more LED lightbulbs turning up on store shelves.

I don't think I've seen one yet that is ok to use with a dimmer switch.

I can understand why CFL's can't be put on a dimmer - but why not LED
bulbs?

This is new, last 3 years. They had to develop a ballast that was
adjustable. CFL's and LEDS are not a good comparison.

They're crazy-priced as is. Not being able to dim them makes them even
less desirable as a replacement for incandescent bulbs.

L.E.D.S. Are going to difficult (impossible) to dim. Remember
they are DIODES that only need .7V to illuminate. AFAIK ---
LED's are not dim-able.

Brightness of LEDs is controlled by how much current flows through them
- same as with dimmable CFLs. All that is necessary is to make the
current control circuitry in the LED "bulbs" compatible with and making
use from the usual dimmers, similar story as with CFLs.

but it hasn't been done with CFLs yet, so don't hold your breath waiting
for it.

It has been done for CFLs. I have seen dimmable CFLs at Target for a
year or something like that already, maybe almost 2 years. They have
existed for much longer than that.
--
- Don Klipstein )