Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Kapusta Boris Kapusta is offline

Default Lung disease former MG Rover workers get compensation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-12014082

A group of 79 ex-MG Rover workers have received compensation for what
experts said was the largest such outbreak of occupational lung disease in
the world.

Metalworking fluids used by Powertrain Ltd, the engine building division of
MG Rover, caused breathing problems for some workers at the Longbridge
plant.

The illnesses were discovered in 2004 and affected about 12% of the staff.

After a seven-year legal battle 79 claimants accepted an out of court
settlement worth about £1m in total.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation from 2004 to 2006 found
the cause of the alveolitis disease was mist from metalworking machines that
was widely used throughout the factory in 2003 and 2004.

'In harm's way'

It found the fluids had not been maintained properly, allowing bacteria and
other harmful substances to build up and cause respiratory diseases. But it
decided not to prosecute the firm, which went into administration when MG
Rover collapsed in April 2005.

The HSE said it thought it was the largest known outbreak of occupational
asthma linked to metalworking fluids in the world.

Former worker Noel Davis said: "They put us right in the midst of the mist,
that's what caused me to have this asthma. I do feel they put us in harm's
way."

John Walsh of the Unite union said: "I am delighted that after a
seven-year-legal battle our members have now received the compensation that
has been owed to them."

Gerard Coyne, the union's regional secretary added: "From the union's
perspective we believe that a good health and safety working environment is
absolutely critical."