Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doors and Porch Lamps, Junk or not

I'm redoing my entrance way, it was built wrong and I'm doing a good
bit of work. I've redone the foundation and replaced the lower tiers of
siding with hardie plank.

I'm a sucker for buying discounted merchandise and my last trip to the
Borg I bought a Jeld Wen steel door with a 3/4 oval light, something like
this (but different glass) ($98, discontinued design, but energy star):

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...atalogId=10053

I'll need some new porch lamps to better match and am looking at this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053

The Despot doesn't care whether they sell junk or not as long they make
a profit.

Is this stuff junk, or will it have a reasonable service life. Any
experience?

Jeff

In general, I don't have a problem with most HD fixtures. They just buy
the more standard styles, and the quality is OK for what they are. I don't
particularly like the fixture you've chosen though. The fixture canopy
doesn't fit well on many siding types and the weight of the fixture is
mostly above the canopy, which gives it the tendency to pull away from the
wall, especially with the lightweight fixture bracket that they supply.

*I've noticed that many of my customers are switching to open bottom type
outdoor fixtures because it is easier to change the bulb and dead bugs don't
accumulate.