Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Radio won't stop playing Christmas music

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 06:14:35 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I had a dead car radio pick up a FM station, even though the output
transistor had an open emitter. I was near the base of the tower at a
transmitter site when someone preaching came out of the speaker. I
was less than 1000 feet from the tower that had five, 50 KW
transmitters feeding the curtain antenna.

With 250kW, it's surprising you didn't hear the station through your
fillings.

I didn't have any fillings, or I might have. There was also a 5 MW
EIRP Ch. 55 and a 1.8 MW EIRP Ch. 64 UHF signal, plus about 100 250 W
VHF high band & UHF two way radio transmitters. We were also in the
path of a 4 GHz ATT microwave relay and had multiple UHF and microwave
STL links aimed at the site. The only place I saw that was worse was
the VOA Bethany plant (Morrow Ohio) with 10, 50 KW HF transmitters on
various short wave bands. You could hold a florescent lamp inside the
facility and it would light from stray RF. It's intensity changed, with
the modulation of the various tansmitters. The only way to 'turn it
off' was to stick it in a locker.

Weren't the ATT relays 6 and 10 ghz?