Swingman

Default Question about Lock Mitre Joint

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message

1. Is there a strength difference between the two types of joint? And if
so which is the stronger joint? It would seem to me that the miter joint
would be stronger than the butt end joint.

Joint strength is relative to the type, and proposed use, of the end
product. On a plywood shop project, I personally would go with the glued
rabbet joint and screws. It is more than strong enough in plywood, fast, and
minimum or no clamping.

I am not a fan of miter joints on most shop grade plywood projects unless
there is a real need for them ... but then I don't own a locking miter joint
router bit. As they say, when you only own a hammer, everything looks like a
nail.

BTW, if you decide to use the locking miter joint, they can also be cut on a
table saw.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net