Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default TV interference with T8 lights

On Dec 24, 9:23*pm, stryped wrote:
I decided after the T 12 lights in my attached garage started having
problems to replace them with T8's.(Electroonic ballasts) Since doing
this, Channel 5 WTVF goes out every time I turn the garage lights on.
It goes back to normal when the lights are off.

I have a rooftop antenna a yagi, on a tower right outside my garage. I
also have on this tower my dish network dish.

I origionally thought it was probably the light and replaced it with
another one from Lowes, but this light did the same thing as well.

Is there a way to diagnose what is causing this or preventing it?

I also have UHF little antennas at varios tv's in the house to be able
to work the remote from another bedroom. (Satelite box). however, for
a test, I unscrewed one of the antennas at the kitchen tv and it made
no difference.

The remotes work at 2.4Ghz, well within the microwave spectrum. A
leaky microwave oven will affect those, not much else.

If the ballasts are putting out that much RFI, you should be wiping
out AM reception for quite a ways, a cheap transistor radio should
pick that right up. If they're chink fixtures, not much you can do
except replace them with something better-made. Another problem,
maybe easier to fix, would be that the ballasts aren't radiating but
putting out a signal down your AC power lines and that's getting into
your electronics that way. RF chokes and filters can be added to kill
that off, shouldn't have to be done on correctly designed ballasts,
but would be a possible fix. I had a chink-designed motor control
that tripped the computer's UPS anytime I used it, had to stick an EMI
filter on the power cord to kill that.

Stan