Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default TV interference with T8 lights

In article
,
stryped wrote:

I decided after the T 12 lights in my attached garage started having
problems to replace them with T8's.(Electroonic ballasts) Since doing
this, Channel 5 WTVF goes out every time I turn the garage lights on.
It goes back to normal when the lights are off.

I have a rooftop antenna a yagi, on a tower right outside my garage. I
also have on this tower my dish network dish.

I origionally thought it was probably the light and replaced it with
another one from Lowes, but this light did the same thing as well.

Is there a way to diagnose what is causing this or preventing it?

I also have UHF little antennas at varios tv's in the house to be able
to work the remote from another bedroom. (Satelite box). however, for
a test, I unscrewed one of the antennas at the kitchen tv and it made
no difference.

This should not happen.

One assumes that the electronic ballasts are jamming TV reception, but
UHF is way above the inverter frequency, which is probably around 20
KHz, with harmonics in the low megahertz.

I would try a different brand of ballast.

You should be able to return the light fixtures as defective, perhaps
illegal, because the FCC frowns on such interference.

Joe Gwinn