Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Turning Spruce II

John Gbur wrote:
We had some spruce come down in our backyard in wind storms. I didn't keep
a lot just a piece or two the sap is just too annoying and the wood is not
that interesting to me. I just turned it to an even wall thickness for
twice turning (10% rule), dated and marked it spruce, sealed the entire
bowl, I let it dry for a few weeks on the floor and then threw it in an open
box for at least 1 year. Spruce and pine have always been pretty stable for
me at least. Also with the Anchorseal method I have lost very few bowls, I
seal the whole bowl. The bag method may work but I don't like having to
check and reverse paper or bags all the time.

Thanks.

I have sealed the end grain of all the remaining bowls. If another
one cracks I will seal the whole bowl on the remainder and try that.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never confuse endurance with hospitality.