Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Radio won't stop playing Christmas music

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 22:22:45 -0800 (PST), Jimmy
wrote:

My 15-year-old Sony clock radio won't stop playing Christmas music,
even when it's switched off!

It has a problem where a certain FM station towards the upper end of
the band, which has been playing Christmas music 24/7 for the last 6
weeks, plays very quietly all the time. Adjusting the volume or
tuning knobs, and flipping the switch to AM, don't affect this
problem.

When I turn the radio on, I hear several stations at once if it's
switched to FM. It works reasonably well on AM.

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary inside. There was a very
small copper coil, with just 4 loops, which was coated in wax. One of
the loops looked bent out of place, but bending it back didn't help.

Any idea what would cause this? I don't have much electronics
experience, but I'm interested in learning.

Jimmy

Tell your neighbor to turn their radio down, as you can clearly hear
it in your flat.