Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M Scott M is offline

Default What's a reasonable number of times to be asked to give a jumpstart?

Tim Watts wrote:

strikes me as either **** poor engineering or a scam. Given it's BMW I
suspect the latter.

I had my first BMW about 8 years ago and I was surprised at how forward
thinking they were and how well engineered stuff was (having believed
all the negative hype about them before.) Things like threaded holes on
the water pump so you could just pop a couple of M8 bolts in and use
them to wind the pump out of the block. Beat the application of the
/large/ hammer that Vauxhalls required, for instance.

Now though they do seem to have started putting stuff in just to the
disadvantage of the owner.

Or, heavens above, they could always have a physical limit detector -
gasp, a microswitch!

Peversely, on my L-reg 3er they had a magnet & hall-effect switch that
counted pulses of the winder motor and would shut it off if the pulses
stopped coming. On my '54 plate 3er the strip at the top of the window
simply activates a microswitch. So that's gone backwards.

Mind you, the 5er upwards always seems to be a testbed for Bizarre
Things. The anti-trap mechanism on those probably consists of a bottled
Genie that watches from the B-pillar.

--
Scott