Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default insulating draughty cavity under ground floor boards?

Tim Watts wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On 24 Dec, 12:55, wrote:
On 24 Dec, geraldthehamster wrote:

Approved Document L1B, 5.7 b. i. defines the replacement of an
existing layer as "stripping down the element to expose the basic
structural components (brick/blockwork, timber/metal frame, joists,
rafters, etc)..."
So I guess if you take up the floorboards, strictly speaking it's
notifiable. I wouldn't bother, and I bet nobody has.
Hasn't it to be more than 25% of the element to be notifiable? You
did some
last year and some the year before etc. didn't you?

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Yes, but it's 25% of that element, not of all the elements of that
type in the house. ie if you expose more than a quarter of the floor
in one room. It's all academic anyway, who the hell is going to notify
Building Control if they're insulating a floor, and what are Building
Control going to do anyway, tell you to take it out again? Really not
worth worrying about.

Basically talked this over with a mate, who is doing up house to sell
when things improve.. No BCO, no ticket. No ticket no resale value
increase.

No insulation!

I never understand this - I don't fix houses for resale value, I fix it
so I like it...

In your mate's case, if there really was a resale value potential
increase, and he felt the BNA sign off was actually worth something, why
not just get a BNA - for that value of work it would only be a couple of
hundred?

He hasn't got even a couple of hundred.

And the estate agent was dubious as to whether even so, it would
increase the house value.