Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default What's a reasonable number of times to be asked to give a jump start?

In message , Gib Bogle
writes
On 24/12/2010 1:51 p.m., george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 23/12/10 23:39, Adrian C wrote:
On 23/12/2010 22:01, ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

Probably it's either

1) he's worried the anti-theft radio will lose it's marbles and he

.
As car electronics gets cleverer and cleverer
disconnecting the battery to swap it for a new one may break more things than
the radio.

[g]

Yeah, somehow that doesn't seems very clever to me.

I wonder how flat the battery has to be to have the same effect as
being disconnected.

Surely there must be a clever way to replace a battery without
disconnecting, using jumper cables. It might be tricky.

1. Run jumpers from the battery leads to the new battery.
2. Remove leads from old battery.
3. Remove old battery.
4. Install new battery.
5. Here's the tricky part - connect leads to new battery while
maintaining connection between battery terminals and leads at all
times. I'm not sure how this should be done.

1. Slacken the bolts on the battery connectors.

2. Make sure that the connectors are loose, but don't disconnect from
the battery terminals.

3. Connect the jumper lead clips to the connectors.

4. Ease the connectors off the battery terminals.

5. Replace battery.

6. Put the connectors on the battery, making sure that they are a push
fit (tighten/slacken bolts as necessary).

7. Remove jumper leads.

8. Tighten connector bolts.

That ought to work. The car electrics will never know you did it.
--
Ian