Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy[_4_] Jimmy[_4_] is offline

Default Shower tile repair

"Bob F" wrote:
The vapor barrier probably increases the moisture problem be preventing the
escape of moisture, trapping it in the current drywall. Tile shops told me vapor
barrier is not a good thing here.

"Jimmy" wrote:
I see you're supposed to leave a small gap between the bottom of the
cement board and the top of the tub. *Why? *If water gets through the
tiles, where does it go once it's on the front of the cement board, or
the front of the vapor barrier?

Water gets wicked up into the backerboard.

I thought the more expensive types of boards are water resistant.

Then it sits there, rotting the
studs, since the vapor barrier keeps it from evaporating.

Couldn't a vapor barrier keep the water away from the studs?

If there's no vapor barrier, then where would the water go? Into the
fiberglass insulation, or the space between the studs? That seems
like a recipe for mold.

Jimmy