Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Air-powered cars..... attn PV if he's still around.

. 3.70...
Jordan fired this volley in news:xQdRo.5880$MF5.3599
@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

So, what would be the size and weight of a spring that would be needed
to propel a one ton car 50 miles?

Well... in THAT technology it was only 20lb., or so. In ours, it would be
MUCH bigger.

OTOH... most cars don't weigh a ton anymore, unless my M-I-L is riding in
the back.

Even small cars weigh more than a ton -- I think my Honda Fit is over 2500#.
Miata's may be under a ton, but you can start those cars with 8 D-cell
batteries, iiuc....
The SmartCar is under 2,000# and proly the TaTa, but I think barely a
handful of cars sold in Merka are under 2,000#.

To the other query, these air tanks appear to be the size of a full size
oxygen tank, with two or three lying under the frame, compressed to 4,000
psi. Dats a lot of psi, and mebbe even higher psi can be achieved.
--
EA

LLoyd