Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default problem replacing ceiling fan/light with light fixture

On Dec 24, 4:00*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 17:47:47 -0500, "RBM" wrote:
You're only going to use 1 set of switches now, so choose the red/2white..
The red being hot and the two white being neutral.

I did a test, and that works. *Why doesn't the bulb light when there
is 105V across those two when the switch is off?

On the fixture you need to
determine which wire should be the hot. Using a continuity tester, see which
of the fixture wires goes to the center tongue of the socket.

The black one, as expected.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

RBM's choice is correct, I reading & typing as you posted.

My guess it that you're using a digital meter & picking up a 'phantom'
voltage ....... the bulb not lighting (an inadvertent bulb test)
proves that.

cheers
Bob