Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default problem replacing ceiling fan/light with light fixture

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
I'm trying to replace a ceiling fan/light fixture with just a light
fixture. There are separate wall switches for the light and fan (both
are also three-way). I didn't notice how the old fixture was wired
when I took it down. The box has three black wires twisted together,
a red wire, a single white wire, two white wires twisted together, and
a bare ground wire. With my voltmeter, I couldn't find any
combination of the wires that went from 0 to 120 volts when switched.

Rounding the voltages off, I got:
Black-red - 0 or 15V, depending on the position of one switch
black-white1 - 0 or 30 depending on the position of the other switch
black-white2 - 120V always
red-white1 - 0, 15, or 30V, depending on the position of the two
switches
red-white2 - 105 or 120V depending on the position of one switch
white1-white2 - 90 or 120V depending on the position of the other
switch

The new light fixture has black, red, and a bare ground. How should
this be wired?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

You're only going to use 1 set of switches now, so choose the red/2white.
The red being hot and the two white being neutral. Insulate all the other
connections and stick them into the box. On the fixture you need to
determine which wire should be the hot. Using a continuity tester, see which
of the fixture wires goes to the center tongue of the socket. This should be
hot. The other neutral, and I'll assume that the ground is obvious