Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't many / most LED light bulbs dimmable?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 06:25:05 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:

I'm seeing more LED lightbulbs turning up on store shelves.

I don't think I've seen one yet that is ok to use with a dimmer switch.

I can understand why CFL's can't be put on a dimmer - but why not LED
bulbs?

This is new, last 3 years. They had to develop a ballast that was
adjustable. CFL's and LEDS are not a good comparison.

They're crazy-priced as is. Not being able to dim them makes them even
less desirable as a replacement for incandescent bulbs.

L.E.D.S. Are going to difficult (impossible) to dim. Remember
they are DIODES that only need .7V to illuminate. AFAIK ---
LED's are not dim-able.

Try 3. something volts to light a white LED. The only way to "dim"
LEDs is to PWM them with variable pulse width/duty cycle. The dimming
range is quite narrow.

The same can be done for "overdriving" an LED. Shourt duration pulses
can significantly increase the visible light output without
overheating the junction.