Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Why aren't many / most LED light bulbs dimmable?

On 12/24/2010 07:25 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
Home wrote:

I'm seeing more LED lightbulbs turning up on store shelves.

I don't think I've seen one yet that is ok to use with a dimmer switch.

I can understand why CFL's can't be put on a dimmer - but why not LED
bulbs?

This is new, last 3 years. They had to develop a ballast that was
adjustable. CFL's and LEDS are not a good comparison.

They're crazy-priced as is. Not being able to dim them makes them even
less desirable as a replacement for incandescent bulbs.

L.E.D.S. Are going to difficult (impossible) to dim. Remember
they are DIODES that only need .7V to illuminate. AFAIK ---
LED's are not dim-able.

sure they are, I had a LED dash light kit in my old 944. It didn't dim
linearly like the incandescents though, so a slightly different dimmer
would be required. I thin kthe difficulty is with dimming with AC.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel