Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Why aren't many / most LED light bulbs dimmable?

On 12/24/2010 1:54 AM, Home Guy wrote:
I'm seeing more LED lightbulbs turning up on store shelves.

I don't think I've seen one yet that is ok to use with a dimmer switch.

I haven't really been following, but I was in the borg last night and
they now have quite a few. I noticed, right on the box, of at least one
"Dimmable". There is little reason why not, unless flicker related.

YMMV

I can understand why CFL's can't be put on a dimmer - but why not LED
bulbs?

They're crazy-priced as is.

Getting better. I was looking at bulbs priced in the teens. I seem to
recall prices 3 times higher not long ago. But I'm no expert.

Wound up buying a CFL that looked just light a regular bulb (for $4),
with glass all the way to the screw. Got one floor lamp that a regular
CFL won't screw in.

Jeff

Not being able to dim them makes them even
less desirable as a replacement for incandescent bulbs.