Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default insulating draughty cavity under ground floor boards?

In article
,
geraldthehamster writes
On 24 Dec, 00:49, fred wrote:
In article
,
RobertL writesRemember to get building control
approval (it's covered by Part L).

There is no requirement to gain approval for additional insulation where
there is no change to the structure.

Approved Document L1B, 5.7 b. i. defines the replacement of an
existing layer as "stripping down the element to expose the basic
structural components (brick/blockwork, timber/metal frame, joists,
rafters, etc)..."

So I guess if you take up the floorboards, strictly speaking it's
notifiable. I wouldn't bother, and I bet nobody has.

Agreed, thanks for pointing out the exact wording that makes it far
clearer.

When I did mine I worked below from an existing hatch but in one area
had to lift a few board to do the poke fill method which (even if I was
bothered) shouldn't have required a notice.

Although it's been suggested here, I wouldn't lift all the boards,
vapour barrier considerations or not.

It's wise to take care if there is a compliance bod in the vicinity.
--
fred