Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Impedance matching

On 12/23/2010 4:27 AM Jeff Thies spake thus:

Given the above, he can use the selector to select any one set of
speakers at a time. If he selects more than one set, then he has an
impedance of 2 ohms. So, the store is correct, at least in part.
It will work in this manner. But if you want to be able to select
more than one set, then clearly you are violating the specs.
Probably would still work fine, as long as you don't want
to crank up the volume approaching maximum. But, I'd contact Pyle
and ask them what's up. They make all the eqpt and clearly how you
can use it is limited.

The amp will probably protect itself before anything goes bad. (They
usually sample current in one of the output transistors).

Well, yeah, I'd expect most any amplifier made today to have some kind
of shutdown protection circuit built in. You could probably
short-circuit the speaker terminals and the thing would just turn itself
off (not exactly, but that's the effect).

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.