Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

Default CD optical block shorting links

"N_Cook" writes:

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote in message
"N_Cook" writes:

First time for years (no salvaged one on hand) I replaced old with new

but
had forgotten about those antistatic shorting links, wasting time trying

find the short. Nothing on the box about the shorting link, only graphic
showing use antistatic wrist strap for assembly
Do they all have these solder-across semicircle land pairs?
This one Sanyo SF-P101 has them , so do KSS213 and K SM213, all ?
Is there something in the laser assembly that is especially prone to

static
damage?

Yes, the laser diode. There's generally very little circuitry between the
cable and laser diode and it can be damaged by any number of things

including
ESD.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

But is a CD laser diode any more susceptible to ESD damage than a bulk
standard red LED or a 1N4148 say, in otherwise the same poor handling
circumstances?

YES! A 1 ns current spike with a peak just above the laser diode's maximum
rating can destroy it. Accidentally connecting a charged 0.01 uF 5 V cap
across a laser diode will destroy it. Etc., etc. Look at it the wrong
way.....

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/