Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster[_2_] geraldthehamster[_2_] is offline

Default insulating draughty cavity under ground floor boards?

On 22 Dec, 10:32, stuart noble wrote:
On 22/12/2010 09:46, RobertL wrote:

On Dec 20, 12:31 pm, *wrote:
I plan to redirect our ground floor front room next year.

Currently, the walls are unplastered, and we've rewired so floorboards
are loose, so any option is possible at this point.

My question is what, if anything to do about draughts from under the
floor.

The house is Victorian, and slightly raised with large cavities under
the floor-boards. There is also a metal decorated air-grill at the
front of our house which ventilates the space under this room.

We were in the same situation and I didn't put celotex under the
floor; *I wish I had done. * We did fill the gaps between the
floorboards using a V section platic strip designed for the purpose.
That helped a lot.

My advice: do a proper insulation job between the joists and leave the
ventilation under there alone. *Remember to get building control
approval (it's covered by Part L).

Sod that- Hide quoted text -

Seconded. Celotex is expensive enough without unnecessary fees.

Cheers
Richard