Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30015 Ignoramus30015 is offline

Default OT WSJ -- Does the estate tax hurt farmers and family businesses?

On 2010-12-23, Tom Gardner wrote:
"Ignoramus29073" wrote in message
Regular people, like you and me (yes I have seen your factory on
google maps and go to such factory auctions often), are not impacted by
current thresholds of estate taxes. Those somewhat above the
threshold, can do a lot to reduce their estate tax bill.

I think the death tax only applies to very unexpected deaths combined with
poor planning.

That, and the super-rich (well over 10 mils).

Anybody with half a brain can avoid it completely. But in general,
I'm against politicians using confiscated wealth to buy the votes of
the unproductive leaches on society.

The typical heirs are sometimes unprodictive leeches too.

Why not make the tax voluntary? All liberals can donate all their
wealth and that would offset conservatives helping their families.

I think that this is what a few honest billionaires are doing. They
promise to give away over half of their wealth to charity.

http://givingpledge.org/

Check out their list, it is impressive.

So it is not like the billionaires never give back, they do. But some
narrow minded people never think of being grateful to the society that
enabled them to be successful.

Warren Buffett was the person who started it. Conrad Hilton said "it
is the duty of successful people to give back to the society from
which their success was derived". This is how I feel, as well.