Posted to alt.home.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default Deadbolt for old door

HeyBub wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/21/2010 7:07 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I take the threat of fire, and the possibility of dying in it, very,
very seriously. I may not be the handiest handyman on the planet,
but I've resolved to not do anything that leads to serious injury
or death.
For security reasons, I would *never* have an exterior door without
double cylinder deadbolts.

I sincerely hope that neither you nor anyone else in your house ever
gets caught in a fire and can't find the key to the door.

We have burglar bars on the doors and windows. The doors are equipped with
double-cylinder deadbolts. The bars on the windows are equipped with knob
deadbolts.

I tell all overnight visitors that, in case of fire, make for a window, not
a door.

You do NOT have to sacrifice security for a potential fire.

In case of an emergency people always head the way they came.
In a Mall fire the staff went for their staff exit, even when
the customers entry was the safest way.
So I suggest you make the ordinary entry into a safe exit .