Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Turning Spruce II

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 12/22/2010 04:04 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
On 12/21/2010 02:42 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
The first bowl I roughed out and bagged 5 days ago split across. I
endgrain sealed the remaining 5. And it is STICKY. I had a pair of those
thin knit gloves with the plastic coated palms that I use when handling
this stuff, otherwise I would look like the tar baby.

The sap will wreak havoc w/a varnish type finish. I'd recommend either
using shellac or an oil finish.

Or you could cook it in the over at around 350 for a couple hours to
crystalize the sap. This is best done when your wife will be gone for
an extended period. It's a hard one to blame on the dog...

Sounds scary.

Only if you get caught! ;-)

I would think this would split the wood into toothpicks since it has a
tendency to split even in a paper bag. Unless you mean after the bowl
is dry.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA