Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default ginger beer to spirit

On Dec 21, 4:44*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Dec 21, 7:09*pm, "newshound" wrote:

Not so long ago you could buy small stills in France in places like Gamme
Verte (Countrywide)

Every time I've seen a still for sale, I could buy a lifetime's supply
for the same price.

Except in Jugoslavia(sic). *There it's a little bloke with a handcart
wheeling around something built by his great grandfather. You give him
firewood and a tithe of the end results, he distills your home-brew
for you.

In France are les bouilleurs de cru, who operate similarly to the
handcart man. Historically they could distill up to ten liters of
alcohol tax-free, per year, from their own fruit, but supposedly they
will distill yours as well for a tithe.