Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Turning Spruce II

Bill Noble wrote:
On 12/21/2010 3:42 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
The first bowl I roughed out and bagged 5 days ago split across. I
endgrain sealed the remaining 5. And it is STICKY. I had a pair of those
thin knit gloves with the plastic coated palms that I use when handling
this stuff, otherwise I would look like the tar baby.

if you turn it to about 1/8 inch (or thinner) immediately, it won't
split and it will make an attractive bowl - the sap will help keep it
translucent

Gotcha. That takes care of the cracking. But where does the sanding
come in? While it is wet and sticky? Or after firing it as Kevin
suggested. Maybe boiling it in dish washing detergent would take care
of everything.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA