Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to plug sliding door gap?

On Dec 21, 12:36*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 20, 9:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Dec 20, 11:42*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 20, 8:17*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Dec 20, 10:38*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"benick" wrote

I agree with Harry...For some northern climates like here in Maine where
it can drop to 10 below they just plain SUCK...Other climates they might
be OK...I got rid of mine and the difference was amazing...So much so my
dad ditched his as well...Both of us now have a nice full view steel entry
door , full view storm door with built in screen with a new window next to
it..Header was already there just had to frame window and door opening
...Vinyle siding was a breeze to do and I do drywall for a
living..Trimming them was easy too..Couldn't be happier and MUCH
warmer..To each their own ofcourse...

I'm in CT but we get some below zero. *I have *Pella 8' slide in the family
room. *If I had to take it out, I'd sell the house. *That big glass opening
is one reason I bought the house, so I could enjoy the view of the woods
next to me. * I really don't get drafts and the room is the same temperature
as the rest of the house.

When we were looking at the house we live in, I walked into the family
room, which is at the back of the house and full story above the
backyard. I looked out of the 2 side by side double hung windows and
the first thing that came to mind was "This place needs a deck."

The first summer we were in the house I built the deck, tore out the
windows and put in a Crestline wooden sliding door. 25 years later and
I don't regret it for a second.

The previous owners raised 4 kids in this house (as did we) and they
spent 30 years walking out of the front door and all the way around to
get to the back yard. 6 months after the wife and I were in, we were
sliding the door open, crossing the deck and walking down the stairs
into the yard.

I wouldn't change a thing.- Hide quoted text -

A set of french doors would accomplish the same thing, seal better,
lock one whale of a lot better, no more replacing wheels (what a fun
job that is!), no more cleaning out tracks, etc. *No matter how you
slice it, a slider is not a well engineered solution to having a way
through a wall. *Yes, there are ways to "improve" them with
aftermarket stuff but it still comes down to trying to "polish crap".

Harry K

I've had to replace a wheel on my Crestline once in 25 years. *Piece
of cake. I don't what kind of door you have that makes you say "what a
fun job that is" but my Crestline is no problem at all.

As far as locking, my Crestline has a deadbolt that goes into the oak
sill and another that goes into the oak strip that holds the slider in
place. You can't lift my door out, you need to remove the interior oak
strip (10 screws) and then the door falls into the room. Coming in
through my garage would probably be easier than coming in through my
slider.

Do french doors open 180 degrees (serious question) or do they take up
space in the room when open? That wouldn't work in my family room
without some very inconvenient rearranging.

As far as cleaning out the tracks, I'll give you that one. Snow can be
a pain, but the few times that it's an issue is far outweighed by all
the other things I like about the door.

To each his own.- Hide quoted text -

You are aware that french doors can be installed to open _out_? *It is
amazing how much interior room is saved by 'out opening' doors. *My
entry and back door are that way now and when I replace that abortion
it will also open out...maybe. *Where it, and the furniture inside
winds up would also work for an in-opener.

My BIL in Canada replaced his slider when he bought the house with an
"out-opener"

Harry K

"You are aware that french doors can be installed to open _out_?"

You are aware that open _out_ doors can't be opened when there's snow
piled up outside the door?

Sliders can.

You are aware that open _out_ doors can't (shouldn't?) be opened when
it's raining?

Sliders can.

You are aware that open _out_ doors take up room on the deck?

Sliders don't.

Besides, I'm not looking to replace my slider door with french doors.
I *like* my slider. If and when it ever needs to be replaced, it will
be replaced with another slider.

By the way, I'm not talking about some ugly, aluminum, drafty sliding
door. I've got a good quality, wood interior, white aluminum clad
exterior, double pane glass, with a nice oak sill.

Like I said, other than the rare times I've gotten a little snow in
the tracks, I couldn't be happier with my slider.