Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Deadbolt for old door

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/21/2010 6:06 PM aemeijers spake thus:

On Dec 21, 12:09 am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I really do not like doors that need a key to unlock from the
inside (not to mention that they're illegal),

Illegal? Really? Is that a local ordinance?

Fire code most places prohibits it, but it is routinely ignored. Idea
being, that unless you leave a key in the lock (which basically
turns it into a thumb latch), people could get trapped in a fire.
Unlike us tool-using barbarians on here, most people wouldn't think
of smashing the glass to get out. I might do it in a house I lived
alone in, but would never do it in a house with kids or older folks.

Well, I agree wholeheartedly with the fire codes here. I've had two
clients with entry doors with double-cylinder deadbolts that I had to
convince to replace the inside lock with a turnbolt. I was successful in
both cases, but it took a lot of wheedling. In both cases, I had to
replace windows in the doors with safety glass to allay the homeowners'
(justified) fears of being broken into.

I take the threat of fire, and the possibility of dying in it, very,
very seriously. I may not be the handiest handyman on the planet, but
I've resolved to not do anything that leads to serious injury or death.

For security reasons, I would *never* have an exterior door without
double cylinder deadbolts.