Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1592 Ignoramus1592 is offline

Default Mercury vs. aluminum

On 2010-12-22, Califbill wrote:
"dan" wrote in message ...

Cydrome Leader wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:29:00 +0000 (UTC):

It's really more accurate to watch the video and realize aluminum is one
of those crazy metals that normally ships in a tank of kerosene or oil to
keep air and water away from it, and that the truly amazing part is that
the thin oxide layer it forms really seals the rest of the metal from
basically rusting away, or catching on fire or other stuff like that.

We get shipments of aluminum at work all the time. Just open in a
stake side truck. I think your confusing aluminum with sodium.

Dan, I think that his point was that if not for the oxide layer,
aluminum would also be one of those metals that react violently with
air and water. With the oxide layer, it is safe enough to transport in
a stake side truck.