Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default Mercury vs. aluminum

"dan" wrote in message
Cydrome Leader wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:29:00 +0000 (UTC):

It's really more accurate to watch the video and realize aluminum is one
of those crazy metals that normally ships in a tank of kerosene or oil to
keep air and water away from it, and that the truly amazing part is that
the thin oxide layer it forms really seals the rest of the metal from
basically rusting away, or catching on fire or other stuff like that.

We get shipments of aluminum at work all the time. Just open in a
stake side truck. I think your confusing aluminum with sodium.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

What you are getting delivered is aluminium with a nice thin layer of oxide
on the outside.