Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Slide Negative scanners?

On Dec 21, 2:33*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was given an Olympus ES-10S slide scanner a few yrs ago, *and never
hooked it up. *Its the SCSI version, but only has the carrier for
slides, and no power supply.

There's other slide-only scanners available, like HP Photosmart
S20, that are USB native. The SCSI versions were better than
anything before USB , and were popular for Macintosh (which was
the image-processing tool of choice 10 years ago, and heavily
SCSI based).

The big issue is software, because MacOS of the 1990s is
not software-compatible with anything today. The current
OS (10.5++) won't run the OS 8.x or 9.x code. After digitizing the
slide, your software package has to make a .jpg or other
compressed image file. If you want software for scanning,
\consider the SANE Scanner Access Now Easy) open
source softwares
http://www.sane-project.org/

Alas, the ES-10S model is listed as 'unsupported' there.

I kinda like the backlight version of a flatbed scanner
(mine is Epson Perfection Photo 2480) for slide and
negative digitization (with the factory software).