Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Alternative ways to prevent winter pipe burst?

In eb.com,
astraweb ($ to read) typed:
The pipe going through (uninsulated) garage wall to the
outside faucet burst for the second time. Although I turned
off the shutoff valve feeding this pipe and drained the
water out, the valve turned back on slightly (due to cold?)
causing the pipe to fill with water again that eventually
turned into ice.
I'm sick of fixing this pipe. Interestingly it burst at
exactly the same spot as last year. I want to fix it once
and for all.
Is there another type of pipe that can be used instead of
copper that can give a little and therefore cannot burst?
Or perhaps there is some long thin flexible material I can
insert into the pipe that takes up some space but not
enough to hinder water flow, so that when ice form this
long thin flexible material would shrink to allow the ice
to expand?
Otherwise I would have to put a heat tape on this pipe. But
the heat tape says not to use it in enclosed wall, so that
means I have to cut open a section of the drywall to expose
the pipe, in order to use the heat tape?

Put in a freeze protected shutoff, AND fix the leaking shut off. Make sure
the line is free of water after the water's turned off. Learn from
experience.