Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HD Plastic Electric Tie-Wraps

On 12/21/2010 10:54 AM Bob-tx spake thus:

On 2010-12-21, Smitty Two wrote:

I usually buy tie wraps from Allied Electronics, on the web at
alliedelec.com

Lordy! ...are they still with us? Haven't thought of them since I
perused their wish-books for Knight ham gear, as a kid.

That wasn't Allied Electronics, it was 'ALLIED RADIO', which was bought
out by Tandy (Radio Shack) about 1954. I really liked Allied Radio in
Chicago -

Yep. I grew up reading the Allied catalog from cover to cover and
hanging out in the local store (Evanston, Ill.). And that line was
called "Knight-Kit", which I guess was their response to Heathkit; you
could buy them either in kit form or assembled.

I seem to remember that for a short time after being swallowed up by
Tandy that they were called "Allied Radio Shack", though I can't be
sure. Even in those days Radio Shack was clearly third-rate, much more
limited than Allied (or Lafayette, or any of the other electronics lines
available).

I'm sitting next to an Allied receiver that runs my computer sound.
Still working after being bought--*used*--in 1975. (I had to replace one
transistor in the preamp section about 15 years ago.)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.